Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Ants

I have a hummingbird feeder on my patio that has attracted not hummingbirds, but a colony of ants. I love watching them. I have such a respect for them. Here they are, these little creatures, who risk their lives climbing up a wrought iron pole, then down a bulbed feeder, and into a flower hole where some drown. They climb up, then down, get hummingbird nectar, then back up the bulb and down the pole. Back and forth. Back and forth. All day long. And watching them follow the exact same path as the one before.

I can't imagine what I look like to them, a giant, sitting there and watching them, my huge face close to their tiny little bodies. Crossing the patio would be like me walking halfway across the city. Yet they keep going, standing back up after falling their equivalent of four stories or so, and getting the nectar.

They really are amazing little creatures.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

My friends out here recently got a beehive to add to and to pollinate their garden. There are four chairs in front of it, and it's one of the COOLEST shows in town. But put an ant farm just downhill from the hive... FUH'GEDDABOUDIT! Enjoy!!!

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home