Monday, May 29, 2006

Yay!

I am back, literally, in the saddle again. And I am so damn happy about that! Yesterday, Meagan came over and traded bikes with Steve, and I got out my Rapid Cycle (long story....at a later date) and cleaned the chain, basically got it road ready again. I rode it back from airing up the tires and it was was just 6 blocks or so, but it felt so good. Today, on the couch, I mentioned that it felt so good to be on the bike again. Steve, to my complete surprise, asked if I wanted to go on a ride with him.

We started out just riding the side streets in the neighborhood. Then we went to the bike path on Lake Shore. I've never been on the bike path, and I loved it so completely. There was a cool breeze from the lake, we stopped and watched the dogs at the dog beach, ran into Sean Harklerode on his bike and talked for a bit.

I can feel it. I can feel it in my hands, elbows, legs. Back, neck, all of it. I can feel the physical memory of healing myself after Mike, when I would hop on that bike and ride for miles and miles, just me and the pavement and Bitch and Animal in my CD player. Just me and the wind.

It was really wonderful to share that with Steve today. It was riding for pleasure, not for grief therapy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home