Friday, May 04, 2007

Can I get some fries with that angst?

Apparently, I have been unhappy most of my life.

I am cleaning out my closets today. I found a huge box filled with writings, poetry, and random things I've saved throughout the years.

Starting from about fourth grade up until last year or so, I have written down how I was feeling at any given moment in time. But unlike journals, it's on random pieces of paper, in no order but some dated. A good amount are narratives about what's going on in my life and the constant heartache I was going through. Many more are poems expressing unrequited love and the pain that goes with it, depression and self-hatred.

And the numbers are in the thousands. I'm not kidding. On one piece of paper I could have written five poems, and I have a storage box full of notebooks, folders and binders.

I've known that the box existed. I've known it all this time. I've also known what was in the writings. But I was never able to look at them as who I USED to be. It was always who I AM.

It would take me days to read all of them, and I really don't want to. But I will keep them. For awhile, at least. I will keep them all on a shelf until the day comes when I have the time to take that trip back into who I used to be.

As I was sorting them, I would read the first line or so of the top sheet on a pile to see if it was a poem or some random piece of paper that could be thrown away. After reading those lines, I was filled with sadness....but not a sadness because I know that feeling because it still exists...but sad that I ever felt that way. Sad that I never loved myself enough.

And the fact that I can see it that way makes me so happy, because it means I have found that love for myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miss Bish said...

There must be something in the water these days (check my blog).

I know exactly what you're saying. It's a very interesting thing when you can look at something from the past and not get sucked in to the past, but rather observe it from where you stand now.

That's growth, Tory. That's HUGE.

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home