Thursday, March 16, 2006

shit

I found out a few days ago that a guy I went to high school with was missing after a boating accident. Parts of Indiana are really flooded, and although the creek may not look like it, there is a huge undertow in flood waters, especially where I grew up. Cars would try to drive through flooded streets and end up in a field, carried away by the waters.

Kyle was boating with two friends when the boat overturned, I believe. The other two friends made it to shore, and by the time they got there, Kyle was no where to be seen. This happenend on Sunday.

I got an email from a friend today, making it official. The secretary for our class is sending flowers from the Class of 96. He was married with two kids.

He was one of the good ones. While we were never really close, he is one of those guys that I would always talk to. He was never mean, never hateful.

I knew, when he was missing, that he was probably dead. Even if he would have been carried far away by the waters, he would have found a way home or a way to get in touch with someone. I just found out they found him in the flood waters of the creek on Tuesday.

I understand, being the way I am, I don't have to be close to someone to have their misfortune upset me. But this, for whatever reason, is really hitting me hard. But it always does when it's a classmate. Maybe it reminds me that we are all mortal, really. Maybe it just takes away that innocense that we all had back then. Or maybe, it's because he was a nice, good guy that never hurt anyone, and for him to drown in flood waters with a wife and two children left is not fair. It's not fucking fair. It's just not fair at all. Evil people who destroy lives are left alone, and good people drown or get hit by a train or mix the wrong prescriptions.

He was one I was looking forward to seeing at our 10 year reunion this summer. But because life is just not fair, I won't. He won't get to see his kids grow up. He won't share another anniversary with his wife. He's not going to breathe again.

For what it's worth, Kyle.....I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Just know that you will be missed. And know that those of us left know how unfair it was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home