Saturday, February 17, 2007

This is what I don't understand....

I know that many corporations are outsourced. This is not a surprise by any means. And I understand, to a certain degree, having people take on "American" names when they are obviously not speaking English as a first language. I guess it's easier for Americans to remember names like Samantha rather than a foreign name. Ethnocentrism not withstanding.

NOW---This is what I don't understand at all.

Having those who are foreign born, and who have been "given" American names like Samantha or Andrew, speak in a southern accent.

I am not kidding.

I just received my 516th phone call from Academic Funding Foundation. Everyone I have spoken to has had a very thick accent, mostly sounding Indian. Which is fine. I have absolutely nothing against speaking to someone with an accent. I live in Chicago for shit's sake (My issues with outsourcing and what it does to foreign economies and our own are another matter for another day). However, this man not only had a very thick Indian accent, but attempted to produce a southern accent with it. At times it was a mixture of Indian, Georgia, New Zealand, and Cockney. I had to ask him to repeat almost everything he said.

I don't know if this is something that the person wanted to do for fun, or if this is something the company thought would be good for business. Make the stupid Americans think they are talking to another stupid American. It's insulting to me. It's even more insulting to the person who is being forced to put on the phony accent.

There are many reasons for this occurring, I'm sure. And right now, in my head, there are a few ideas running around. But the bottom line? We know you are outsourcing the fucking company. We know that you are avoiding paying Americans a living wage. We know that you are exploiting workers from other countries. Yet we still buy your computers and sign up for your special offers. We make it okay, even though it's not. On so many levels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home